Download Android App


Alternate Blog View: Timeslide Sidebar Magazine

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Principles!

Robustness Principle: "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others".

This principle encourages excellence in design and maximizes interoperability. It's practical meaning is:
  • when designing software, be careful to be compliant with the protocols specified in the RFCs and STDs (Internet-related standards documents).
  • do not introduce features or proprietary extensions to protocols that will be incompatible with other products or systems that are compliant.
  • design your software to be tolerant of products that may not be completely compliant with Internet, Unix and Linux standards.
  • where the standards are vague, accept as wide a range of reasonable operation as possible.
The principle is still honored today and is frequently mentioned in modern day Internet standards documents (RFC 2015 is just one example). Compatibility is a tradition in the world of the Internet, Unix and now Linux.

Douglas Engelbart's law of maturity: "The rate at which a person can mature is directly proportional to the embarrassment he can tolerate."

Excerpts from the book "The Engelbart Hypothesis: Dialogs with Douglas Engelbart"

"And then I’d realize, “Boy, that’s just the way I often sound.”When I was in the service I had time to think through a lot of things. I generated a sort of algorithm: the rate at which a person can mature is directly proportional to how much embarrassment he can tolerate. And I realized that embarrassment didn’t seem to bother me very much, because of my upbringing and the perspective I had about the world. Something Benjamin Franklin wrote was so beautiful, “You wouldn’t worry half so much about what other people thought about you if you realized how seldom they did,” and I’d say, “Oh, that’s right.”I seem to have a lot of intuitive capability. I just don’t mind at all not being able to explain to people how I reached something. It doesn’t bother me."

Principle of locality, also known as the principle of locality, is the phenomenon of the same value or related storage locations being frequently accessed. There are two basic types of reference locality. Temporal locality refers to the reuse of specific data and/or resources within relatively small time durations. Spatial locality refers to the use of data elements within relatively close storage locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment