Most of us would have used Apache POI library. But do you know what POI and its subcomponents like HSSF stands for? Here we go.
The Apache POI project contains the following subcomponents:
- POIFS (Poor Obfuscation Implementation File System) – This component reads and writes Microsoft's OLE 2 Compound document format.
- HSSF (Horrible SpreadSheet Format) – reads and writes Microsoft Excel (XLS) format files.
- HPSF (Horrible Property Set Format) – reads "Document Summary" information from Microsoft Office files.
- HWPF (Horrible Word Processor Format) – aims to read and write Microsoft Word 97 (DOC) format files.
- HSLF (Horrible Slide Layout Format) – a pure Java implementation for Microsoft PowerPoint files.
- DDF (Dreadful Drawing Format) – a package for decoding the Microsoft Office Drawing format.
- HSMF (Horrible Stupid Mail Format) – a pure Java implementation for Microsoft Outlook MSG files.